Diabetics foods List
Diabetes is one of the most severe lifestyle diseases of the present day world. It affects a person who has a high blood sugar, either because of the body’s inefficiency to produce enough insulin, or because of the inefficiency of the cells to recognize the produced insulin.
3 Types of Diabetes:
- Type 1: This refers to the body’s failure in producing insulin. Patients suffering from this type have to depend upon injecting of insulin from outside.
- Type 2: This type refers to the cells’ failure in using the insulin as produced within the body. Sometimes it is combined with an acute insulin deficiency.
- Type 3: This is also known as gestational diabetes. It affects the pregnant women who do not have any previous history of having diabetes.
The most effective measure of diabetes treatment starts with maintaining a strict intake of diabetes food list. Following such a diet list, along with a proper medication will definitely help a diabetes patient to check any further development of this ailment.
Following a properly prescribed diet can benefit a diabetes patient in the following manner:
- In maintaining proper blood glucose levels,
- In maintaining a proper weight, and
- In controlling the further growth of diabetes
Therefore, it is much required for the diabetes patients to know about the diabetes food list. It is much required as then only they will learn what they must have and what they must avoid. And through this way they could lead a happy and healthy life.
Foods to Have
Fish, meat, and any such protein containing food are essential constituents of any diabetic patient’s diet. Milk products like low fat milk and fat free yogurt are also considered good to lower the blood sugar levels. Green and leafy vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, spinach, etc., can also keep the blood sugar levels under a check.
The fiber rich vegetables like split peas, beans, etc., are also included in the diabetic food list. Edible fruits like raspberries or food items like apples, carrots, and tomatoes are also good for diabetes treatment. Whole wheat bread, brown rice, popcorn, and oatmeal are also prescribed.
Foods to Avoid
Diabetic patients are asked to avoid those food items that are rich in high glucose content. The very first item that comes to the top of this list is rice. It is followed by sweets, corn syrup, honey and white bread. In short, a food item that constitutes sugar in it is a strict no for a diabetic patient. It is also advisable to avoid those foods that are high in sodium and saturated fats. Alcohol beverages should also be avoided.
Effective Meal Plan
A high quality meal plan should be followed by a diabetic patient to control the further growth of the disease. A diabetes diet foods list, therefore, features:
- A meal plan that constitute 40 per cent to 60 per cent of calories for carbohydrates
- The remaining calories intake should come from protein and fat in the ratio of 40:60 or 20 per cent and 30 per cent respectively.